Home Catholic Church & Asia Key Vatican cardinal caught up in real estate scandal resigns suddenly

Key Vatican cardinal caught up in real estate scandal resigns suddenly

A powerful Vatican cardinal caught up in a real estate scandal resigned suddenly on Sept. 24 and gave up his right to take part in an eventual conclave to elect a pope, in one of the most mysterious episodes to hit the Holy See in years.

A brief statement, issued unusually in the evening, said that Pope Francis had accepted the resignation of Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu, head of the department that decides who will be the saints of the Catholic Church.

But perhaps more significantly, the statement said Cardinal Becciu, 72, had “given up the rights associated with being a cardinal”.




The one-line statement gave no details but the most important right of Catholic cardinals under 80 is to take part in a conclave to elect a new pope after the current pope dies or resigns.

The relinquishing of that right indicated that the reason for Cardinal Becciu’s resignation was particularly serious.

The last cardinal to give up that right was Cardinal Keith O’Brien of Scotland, who resigned over a sex scandal in 2013.

Cardinal Becciu was until 2018 deputy secretary of state, one of the most powerful positions in the Vatican.

- Newsletter -

During his tenure in that office the Vatican became embroiled in a controversial deal in which the Secretariat of State used church money to purchase a luxury building in London as an investment.

That investigation led to the suspension last year of five Vatican employees, the resignation of the Vatican’s police chief and the departure of the former head of the Vatican’s Financial Information Authority (AIF).

Cardinal Becciu has denied all wrongdoing in the London property deal and defended the purchase, saying the property has increased in value.

In June, Vatican police arrested Gianluigi Torzi, an Italian middleman who was part of a controversial deal, and charged him with extortion, embezzlement, aggravated fraud and money laundering, the Vatican press office said in a statement.

He was later released but the investigation is continuing. Vatican sources said they expected Vatican magistrates to hand down indictments soon.

© Copyright LiCAS.news. All rights reserved. Republication of this article without express permission from LiCAS.news is strictly prohibited. For republication rights, please contact us at: [email protected]

Support LiCAS.news

We work tirelessly each day to tell the stories of those living on the fringe of society in Asia and how the Church in all its forms - be it lay, religious or priests - carries out its mission to support those in need, the neglected and the voiceless.
We need your help to continue our work each day. Make a difference and donate today.

Latest